Wednesday 20 April 2011

Tote-ally Tweet!



Yes, I should firstly apologise for the awful pun-tastic title...it won't happen again.
Moving swiftly on. A couple of weeks ago I reviewed Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts and this sweet little wren embroidery pattern is one of the many bird patterns from that book. I embroidered the design onto plain white linen (possibly the quickest embroidery project ever) and turned it into the focal point of this tote bag. I should say that I was lucky enough to work on the embroidery while sat next to a waterfall in Wales on a very warm day - so this piece will always have happy, sunny memories for me.
The side panels and handle fabric was chosen to match the embroidery thread I used (even though I chose the embroidery thread colour as it was the nearest to hand - must plan better in future). A tote bag is a great, quick project for smaller remnants (and is very eco-chic too). You can make a straightforward bag out of half a metre of fabric, or even patchwork much smaller pieces together to create a one off masterpiece. I didn't use a pattern for this tote (can you tell?), but if you would like one - this one from Skip to my Lou is great.
Don't forget as well as adding embroidery to your tote, you can print/paint your own designs, add buttons and ribbon or applique something fabulous on the front. Happy sewing xx

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful, and I can't think of many better places to embroider that next to a welsh waterfall on a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete